Sunday, May 30, 2010

Chateau Marmont Revisited

My recent two-person exhibition, "Home/journeys," closed this past week at the Miriam Preston Block Gallery in Raleigh. While I did not sell any canvases, I did receive several inquiries and compliments from strangers who saw the show and took the time to email me their comments. That alone is a positive outcome.

One of the canvases featured in the exhibit was "Chateau Marmont," seen above. This was the second painting I completed of the famed Hollywood hotel that sits on a bluff above the Sunset Strip. The first was an 11x14 inch study I completed in October 2008 (click HERE for my previous blog report on that canvas). This work was much larger and focused further on the castle-like structure itself. I decided to delete the neon sign per say and only have a hint of its electric light reflection in the lower right side. My feelings for this painting have grown more positive since its completion; at first I felt it was inferior to the smaller study. It was one of the works that I received the highest praise for in the recent show, a pleasant surprise to me.

"Chateau Marmont." Oil on stretched canvas, 24 x 30 inches. Completed November 2008.

1 comment:

Amy R Smith said...

This is gorgeous! I love both versions. I'm working on my own Chateau Marmont painting and while taking a second look at some reference pics, your work came up in the search as well. Don't worry - not planning to rip you off! I'm trying to do more of a pop art feel with mine, but with my skill level there is no way in hell it's ever going to top yours! Fantastic work!!