Friday, December 12, 2008

Shuttered Cabin

Structures that have been abandoned and stand in a state of disrepair have always attracted me. When I was a child, I grew up near the ruins of a sanitarium complex. I could ride through the grounds on my bicycle and play in the debris of the hospital buildings and staff quarters.

The above painting is based on a similar subject I found on a business trip to Corpus Christi, Texas in 1995. Walking through the city on a quiet Sunday afternoon, I found a small house boarded-up and long-since forgotten, standing behind a chain-linked fence near some warehouse buildings. I didn't have a sketchbook with me, so I took several photographs and filed them away. In 2006 I used the photos to create the painting "Abandoned Cottage." Then, this summer I pulled them out again to create this work.

"Shuttered Cabin." Oil on stretched canvas, 9x12 inches, completed in June 2008.

http://www.kennetheugenepeters.com/Shuttered_Cabin_Painting.html

No comments: