Wednesday, December 31, 2008

On the Easel: Evening in Columbus

The past two months have been a very productive period for me, despite the holidays. Since November 1st I have worked on nine paintings, although I have already painted over one of these. Most (with the exception of one) have an architectural theme to them, and several (like the one above) have been based on buildings I sketched or photographed during my time in Columbus, Ohio.

This painting is based on a house located on the east side of Columbus, near Franklin Park. It was a beast of a place, three stories tall, and in a slight state of decline. Houses nearby were either in a similar state, or completely abandoned. I understand that the east side has seen a renaissance since I left in 1999; I'd be curious to explore this neighborhood again today.

"Evening in Columbus." Oil on stretched canvas, 36 x 24 inches. Completed in December 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think the archive you wirte is very good, but i think it will be better if you can say more..hehe,love your blog,,,