Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Magic Hour

This canvas is the most recent large-scale piece I've completed. Like other works over the past three years, it is loosely based on a house I photographed in Cumberland, Maryland. I placed the structure in a dusk setting to heighten the atmosphere and to create a dramatic interior lighting effect.

Last night I attended Raleigh's First Friday Gallery Walk with a young art student who I have agreed to mentor as part of a class project. She and I visited the new location of the Visual Art Exchange, where she had a beautiful color pencil piece on display as part of a young artists exhibition at the VAE. We then walked to the Contemporary Art Museum to visit their eclectic contemporary exhibits. Future gatherings may include a visit to my studio, a day-trip to Reynolda House in Winston-Salem, and a critique session of her work.

"The Magic Hour." Oil on stretched canvas, 24 x 36 inches. Completed September 2011.

No comments: