Saturday, February 13, 2010

Street Shadows

Having just returned from my annual trip to Savannah, Georgia, I thought I would feature a canvas I completed last year that was inspired by Savannah imagery.

This storefront scene is based on a building located on Savannah's Bull Street, the city's main north-south artery through the Historic District. The atmospheric lighting created by the street lamp intrigued me, so I wanted to attempt a canvas that utilized that unique lighting. When I was walking around Savannah this past weekend, I inadvertently came upon this building and my mind immediately raced to this painting. It was an unusual feeling to recognize a structure through one of my own paintings.

"Street Shadows." Oil on stretched canvas, 20 x 24 inches. Completed May 2009.

No comments: